Links: Viewers, plug-ins and video players
Players and Plug-ins
Different types of materials may be used within your online course. To prepare for any videos, flash files, documents and other formatted materials please download the following free utilities:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download)
- Adobe Flash Player (free download)
- QuickTime Player (free download)
- Java Plug-in (free download)
- Windows Media Player (free download)
- RealPlayer (free download)
Make sure that you have downloaded the most recent video player and that you are using a reliable broadband connection. Some video material will not play on portable devices (such as an iPad). If you still have video issues please contact email@example.com with a description of the problem and the name of the course.
MS Office Viewers - Windows versions:
- Microsoft Word viewer (free download) *you do NOT need to download this viewer if you have MSOffice installed on your computer
- PowerPoint viewer (free download) *you do NOT need to download this viewer if you have MSOffice installed on your computer
- Excel viewer (free download) *you do NOT need to download this viewer if you have MSOffice installed on your computer
Note: For Mac users AND for Windows users, you may find that using Google Drive https://drive.google.com/ works as a stand-in for MS Office if you don't already have Office. Most online classes work from the assumption that you DO have access to Office however.
Seeing Files Created with Newer MS Office versions
If you have trouble seeing MS Office files it could be because the creator of the file has a newer version of office than you do. To ensure that you see files created on the newer, and older, versions of MS Office please follow the 2 steps below:
1. Please install all High-Priority updates from Microsoft Update BEFORE downloading the Compatibility Pack. To check your updates use Internet Explorer and go here http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us2. After installing all updates go here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3to install the compatibility patch which will allow you to view newer Office documents (if you see extensions those files often end with "x", like ".docx" or "pptx" ) in your older MS Office version.